People sometimes get the impression that what happens through good marketing is sort of like magic. It’s as if they believe people like me have access to some secret handshake club where the “How to’s” are locked up in rooms accessible only with codes and fairy dust.
Nothing could be farther from the truth! New Media Marketing (web sites, social networks, youtube, etc) is like traditional media marketing (flyers, posters, print ads, etc) with some minor differences. It’s these little changes that seem to confuse folks. Well, that and the fact that the actual logistics of these tools and networks are in a steady state of flux. Facebook today is a lot different than Facebook was a year ago, for example.
Same But Different
Good New Media Marketing is exactly the same as traditional media marketing in that to do it well you have to put in the time. So while before it might have been feet on the pavement, today it’s fingers on the keyboard and eyes on the forums.
You Must Keep Up To Date…
…with what’s happening or these tools lose their positive power for you. If you don’t have the time you’ll be glad to know I do my clients don’t have to. I put the time in on my end to be able to know what’s working for people these days. I can tell you who uses:
- ConstantContact or MailChimp
- Web Sites
and how and why. Great news for people who don’t have a lot of extra time to figure that out on behalf of their own business or organization. I can help you create a plan selecting from that list social networks that stand the best chance of helping you connect with your audiences! It’s not Rocket Surgery nor Brain Science – matter of fact it is all somewhat experimental. It is for everybody! Even the biggest corporations have to tweak and adjust how they use a this stuff. But use it we must.
Understand Current Best Practices
There are good ways to harness these powerhouses and not so good ways, even practices that can be detrimental to your goals! I keep abreast of what’s trending and readily share this info here on this blog, in my newsletters and directly with my clients.
7 Quick Tips
- HootSuite is an app you can use to schedule updates to your Twitter Account
- Regular posting to your Facebook Page – highlighting certain times of the day, without posting too often is one of the best ways to engage your fans
- Blogs you write can and should be cross posted to your social networks using imaginative leadlines that captivate your connections to the point they can’t not click on over!
- Not all photos and graphics are created equal – yours should always be working for your brand, supporting your organization’s overarching Mission and Goals.
- On your social networks entertain, inform or add value 95% of the time, ask for the ‘buy’ 5% of the time.
- Interact with your fans and followers! Reply, Like, Comment, Acknowledge. Never let a compliment or a criticisms go unthanked (yes, you read that right, criticisms too)
- Know the rules of use for all these platforms – don’t run an improper contest on Facebook, for example – or you risk losing your account without pre
Finally, keep reading these posts and sign up for my newsletter. I share as much of this info as I have time to.